How to Write the Best Instagram Captions to Get More Followers
July 15, 2019
To increase your Instagram followers, your content should be engaging. Ideally, engagement is a crucial factor that the Instagram algorithm considers before ordering your content in user’s feeds. But first, how do you create engagement? Drafting compelling Instagram captions is what boosts more engagement. When your content has more comments and likes, it means more people, even those who don’t follow you, will see the content and might end up following you.
However, coming up with a good Instagram caption is not easy especially when you have to juggle between using a funny, inspirational, or serious caption. Or between using hashtags and emojis? How about a call-to-action? You could have taken a beautiful picture and edited it to perfection but the caption of the post is what gives the visual content a voice.
What Should an Instagram Caption Have?
An ideal Instagram caption is one which adds context, markets your brand’s personality, entertains the audience and provides a call to action. If you think that adding a caption to your post is an afterthought, you will end up losing the opportunity to delight and engage with your followers in a way that your photo or video should have. With captions, you can use up to 2,200 characters in length, up to 30 hashtags and emojis.
However, this does not give you leeway to come up with a hashtag-ridden caption stuffed with all kinds of emojis. Captions like this look corny and spammy and people are less likely to follow a person with such content. Thus, always keep in mind that a suitable Instagram caption should be easy to read and attention-grabbing. It should speak to the content and not overshadow it. So, what are the ingredients of a perfect Instagram caption?
- Pay Attention to Caption Length
Although you have the opportunity to use up to 2,200 characters in your caption, a lengthy caption reduces the readability of the post. However, in the case where you are posting a descriptive caption, it is bound to be long, but you can enhance its readability. This is achieved by using short paragraphs and more spacing.
For long posts, it is advisable to summarize the content in 125 characters or fewer providing a summary of the post-upfront. This will help draw your audience attention before going into further details.
- Tell a story
It has been proven that telling a story boosts sales on your Instagram business account. In this case, a story will increase the engagement of your posts which will help boost your Insta followers.
Are emojis suitable for use in businesses’ social media pages? Well, this is debatable, but it all depends on how you use them. Make sure the emojis used are somehow related to your business and do not take away the actual message.
- Ask Questions and Feedback
This helps boost follower’s engagement as well as get valuable feedback. Make sure to use simple questions which could be either closed-ended or binary.
- Use Hashtags
Instagram allows users to follow a hashtag; however, you should always ensure that the hashtag you use is relevant to the photo. Post with relevant hashtags sees at least 12% more engagement. One of the most effective ways to find relevant hashtags is by checking your competitors.
- Call to Action
A call to action directs readers to do something. Depending on the nature of your content, the call to action should be relatable to your business goals. Examples of call to actions include
- Follow us
- Tag a friend
- Tag us in your photos
- Comment with your favorite…
- Like if you agree
Yes, we agree that the above discussion of more of a formal or business caption. How about if you are looking for captions to use for friends and selfies? Here are some Instagram caption ideas for selfies and friends.
Instagram Captions for Selfies and for Friends
Best Instagram captions for Selfies
- These are the days I live
- There’s sunshine in my soul today
- I was born to stand out
- Selfie Weekend
- I don’t always take selfies
- You don’t know me
- Cinderella never asked for a prince
- Sending my selfie to NASA, because I’m a star
- Life is better when you smile
- You’re never going to have me
- Always classy, never trashy, and a little bit sassy
- What you seek is seeking you
- If you have eyes, look at me now
- Eyes are never quiet
- Don’t hold your breath
- I’m everything you want but can’t have
- Reality called, so I hung up
- Oh! Hey there
- Happy mind, happy life
- Take a ride on my energy
- Less perfection, more authenticity
- Sometimes you got to fall before you fly
- Beauty attracts the eye, but personality captures the heart
- What I know for a fact is that whatever you give comes back to you
- Too glam to give a damn
- Smiles are free, but worth a lot
- Falling in love with these moments
- Normal is boring
- Every moment matters
- Seek respect, not attention. It last longer
Best Instagram captions for Friends
- Friends till the end
- Forever and always
- No friendship is an accident
- Meet my partner in crime
- I never let my best friend do stupid things alone
- Always better together
- To the moon and back
- The sunshine of my life
- Pizaa and you are all I need
- Good friends are like stars
- A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to fund and lucky to have
- Come rain or shine, I will always be here for you
- You don’t even need to ask, I got you!
- Love is beautiful, friendship is better
- I would rather walk in the dark with my friends rather than alone in the light
- Friends come and go. So does a best friend, but a best friend will always find their way back
- Finding friends with the same mental disorder: Priceless!
- True friends don’t judge each other. They judge other people together
- I appreciate the ones who are there at all time, not just when it’s convenient
- I’d take a nerf bullet for you
- We will be one day old ladies causing trouble in the nursing homes
- Besides chocolates, you are my favorite
- On our worst behavior
- Friends who slay together, stay together
- Nothing could ever replace my best friend
- Frankly, I can’t imagine not being around someone as amazing as you
- Fake friends believe in rumors; real friends believe in you
- Hard times will reveal your real friends
- I was an innocent being… then my best friend came along
Are There Any Caption Generators?
Great captions help boost follower engagement which is used by Instagram algorithms to determine if your post will appear on the feed section. This is essential if you are looking to increase the number of followers. When you are short of caption ideas, there are some reliable caption generators that you can use to get captions that will stand out from your competitors. Here is a list of five reliable Instagram caption generator the best Instagram captions.
This App is free to download and comes with incredible captions with a touch of humor. It gives you an option to choose from trending keywords, lyrics, and quotes related to your photo or video.
If you are looking for short and crisp captions, then this is the right caption generator. Although the app does not give in-depth brainy quotes, you will have access to massive archives. You can easily filter the menu categories in terms of ‘popular’ and ‘recent.’
This is another outstanding caption generator that has received numerous positive reviews and is downloadable for both Android and iOS respectively. Here, you will have access to a wide variety of captions that come with a mix of puns, quotes, and hilarious one-liners.
This is an app perfect for real quotes from famous authors, leaders, and entrepreneurs. If you are running an Instagram business account, then this app will come in handy since its captions are not too goofy. Even better, its library is well organized for easier accessibility and navigation.
Caption Expert for Instagram
This is for sure an expert Instagram caption generator. Even better, you can search or get captions using emojis in this app. You can also submit your own captions with your Instagram handle to the app. It also gives you the option to save your caption for later use.
How to Boost Instagram Followers
Even before you get to rely on captions to get more followers, you need to have significant number of followers already who will engage with the content. Sometimes, securing these followers is another hustle.
Just like there are apps to generate quotes, you can be sure there are IG followers apps. These are reliable tools whenever you are wondering how to gain followers on Instagram. Here are some reliable followers apps that will help boost your post engagement though generating followers, hashtags, likes, and comments.
This is the best app for hashtags. Hashtags and captions all work together to help increase your post’s engagement. They have carefully researched and curated the best hashtags for every niche. Even better the app is free and easy to navigate. You only need to search for hashtags related to your niche and copy and paste segments of hashstags from Hashtagsforlikes.co under your uploads.
Instagram captions are a perfect way to boost engagement and amass more followers. The key to a successful caption is giving a story that the audience can relate with. You should also pay attention to the length; keep it short and when long, increase the spacing to enhance readability.
Since emojis are allowed, make sure that the emoji is related to the post and does not take away the actual message. You can also use hashtags and include a catchy call to action. If you are looking at Instagram captions for selfies and Instagram captions for friends, you can choose from the ones mentioned above. To measure the success of your captions, you can use Instagram Insights if you have an Instagram business account.