How to BLOCK someone on Instagram
July 1, 2019
Instagram offers you the opportunity to connect with people you admire or whose life you want to be a part of. There is also the opportunity to create acquaintances and land jobs that will pull extra income for you. On the other hand, it can be irritating when people begin to get on your nerves. There is always a follower that does not like your views and throws caution to the wind when vilifying you.
From celebrities to the “common user” on the platform, there comes a time when it becomes necessary to remove them from your list. If you don’t operate a private account/profile, it can be a daunting task to limit third-party access to your profile. Even when you have one, such users can have access to you by browsing in incognito mode. So, what do you do? Block them! As harsh as it sounds, that is the primary option for cutting off unwanted persons.
Blocking people on Instagram can be as easy as locating and tapping the “Block” button from your mobile app/desktop. You can also use diplomatic/”less severe” approaches, such as the mute option. Whichever option you settle for, the objective remains the same – limiting the number of followers.
SIMPLE WAYS TO BLOCK SOMEONE ON INSTAGRAM
As pointed out earlier, you can block immediately or use other limiting features, such as muting your posts. Note that you can do these from your mobile apps on Windows, Android, and iOS devices. Now, we want to highlight simple ways to block someone on Instagram from mobile apps and desktop versions. After that, we’ll go into details on how to achieve this, including other alternatives to the block feature.
BLOCKING FROM INSTAGRAM APP
This feature is available for mobile applications running on the Android, Windows, and iOS platforms. This option provides the fastest way to block someone on Instagram. We’ll implement this block feature using the Instagram app on an iOS device. Follow these steps to cut off users that make your experience on the platform:
- Open the Instagram app. Sign in with your details if you haven’t done so
- Search for the user you want to block. Do this by tying the username into the search bar
- Click on the profile you want to block. This gives you access to the user’s profile.
- Locate the menu by tapping the three dots at the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Scroll through the options and locate the “Block” button
- Click the “Block” button again when the pop-up window appears
- Tap “Dismiss”
BLOCKING FROM A DESKTOP
You can use this feature if your smartphone is out of power and you need to get rid of that annoying follower in the next couple of minutes. It is a simple thing too. Here is a guide to achieve that:
- Visit the Instagram website
- Gain access to the user’s profile you want to block. There are many ways to do that. We highlight some below:
- Type the username into the search box
- You can also access the profile directly by typing directly into the Instagram website. To do this, type https://www.instagram.com/username into the web browser. Submit Username as used there with the account/username of the profile you want to block
- The profile should be in front of your desktop’s screen by now. Tap the horizontally aligned dots at the right-hand corner of the user’s profile. This gives you access to the Menu.
- Move over to the “Block this user” option that appeared after tapping the Menu option
- A warning message will appear. This is to confirm your decision to block the user. Again, click on the “Block this user” option
- The process is almost over! A confirmation will appear in a pop-up window. This is the final process. Therefore, click on “Dismiss” to complete the process. The picture below is how the profile of the blocked user will look like after the process.
IS BLOCKING THE BEST?
Blocking someone on Instagram can save you the anguish of correcting the wrong impression the person creates about you. It is usually tough on public figures that have to deal with every tantrum that comes their way.
Note that users are not aware you blocked them. It may even take months before such a person realizes what you did. However, if the user is an addict to your page and always checks up on you, it is likely that the discovery will be earlier.
This should not bother you because there are other ways to “block someone on Instagram”. Besides, the block feature is not only way around. As we mentioned earlier, there are lenient/diplomatic ways you can explore to keep off unwanted users. Will you like to give it a shot? If you wish to, below are alternative methods of blocking someone on Instagram.
CHANGE YOUR ACCOUNT’S PRIVACY
Every Instagram account is public by default. You have to consider a change in your account’s privacy settings when people start bugging your posts with frivolous comments that make you feel bad. The best option is to set up a Private Account. As the name suggests, it keeps your social life on the platform private. It can be set up using a smartphone app and the desktop version. Let’s look at the mobile app feature. Here are the steps:
- Access your profile by tapping the replica of a human head located at the right-hand side of the screen
- Tap the three horizontal dots at the top right-hand side of your profile
- Scroll down and select the “Privacy and Security” option
- Click on “Private Account”
- Toggle the switch you see there. When it turns a blue color, it means your profile is about to become private.
- We are almost through. Click the “OK” option when the pop-up window comes up
Would you rather do this from a PC? Follow these steps to change your Instagram account to private using a computer:
- Log in to your account
- Click the three vertical lines on the top right-hand side of the profile
- Click on “Privacy and Security”
- Toggle the “Private Account” option to activate it
BLOCK SOMEONE FROM COMMENTING
This is among the diplomatic approaches we hinted. In this regard, you don’t necessarily have to block the user. All there is to do is limiting the content that he gets to see. Thus, blocking someone from commenting restricts such a user from drop comments on your pictures, posts, and videos. In this case, the person can see the content you put up but cannot “react” to it. Here is what you need to do to stop someone from commenting on your posts:
- Open/log in to your Instagram app
- Tap the profile option. You can locate this by clicking the last icon on the bottom right-hand side of the screen
- Click on the three dots at the top right-hand side of the screen
- Click on “Settings”
- Scroll down through the list of options and click on “Comment Controls”
- Move over to the “Block Comments From” option. Search and include the profiles/users you want to block from commenting.
- After adding, click on “Block”
HIDE YOUR STORY
The feature is similar to that of Facebook. Most Instagram users put up posts, videos, and pictures into the “My Story” tab. This is a way to distribute contents faster and check the number of followers viewing it. Take advantage of the “Hide My Story” feature to block someone on Instagram. Here are the steps:
- Tap the “Your Story” icon
- Tap the “Settings” icon. It takes the shape of a wheel. Locate it at the top left-hand side of the screen
- Click on “Hide Story From”
- Add the users you want to restrict from having access to contents in “Your Story.”
USE THE MUTE FEATURE
This feature is better off than blocking a user whose content you do not like. When you add someone to your mute list, you cease to see his posts on your newsfeed. Nevertheless, such a user can see and comment on your posts. Here is how to do it:
- Open the user’s profile
- Click on the three-dot icon to display the list of options
- Click on “Mute” when the pop-up window appears
- Another pop-up menu with three options will appear. Here is a breakdown of their functionalities:
- Mute Posts: This restricts your access to the videos, posts, and pictures on the user’s newsfeed
- Mute Story: This option cuts you off from seeing the contents on the user’s Story
- Mute Posts and Story: You should consider as a better way to reduce your interaction with such a user. This option keeps you away from the posts and contents in the other party’s story.
- Cancel: Do you feel jittery about muting the user? Click on “Cancel” to abort the process. Otherwise, select from the three options above and reduce the contents you see from the other end.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I BLOCK SOMEONE?
The moment you hit the “Block” button on a user’s profile, the person stops seeing your posts on Instagram. On your part, you won’t get to see his posts either. Nevertheless, the blocked party can see your profile when you drop likes and comments on other profiles they follow.
The blocked user(s) can also mention your username. This is possible if you maintain the same username you had after blocking. Otherwise, they cannot have access to you except they can generate your current username. Do not give thoughts to that. When you block someone on Instagram, the mentions, likes, and comments coming from such an account will not get to you. On a lighter note, the blocked user/profile is merely making a “self-interaction” because you’re oblivious of the activities coming from that end.
Interacting via social platforms, such as Instagram can be a way to meet and make more connections. When people’s attitude becomes overbearing, it is pertinent to lock them out of your social life. Thanks to the block feature on the platform, you can stop interacting with people you don’t want around you. Above all, the alternative features can be helpful when you don’t want to shut them out completely.